Latest Policy Changes in Saudi Arabia with ArabSafe Efforts
The Saudi Medical Council approved the SFDA's National DRL
The Saudi Medical Council announces the importance of establishing diagnostic reference levels in all hospitals through 8 actions :
1. Obligating healthcare facilities to measure patient exposure doses and apply the National DRL to all adult CT scans.
2. Ensure coordination and follow up with the SFDA to benchmark with findings of the National Radiation Safety Committee.
3. Setting reference levels for all age groups in the periodic review.
4. Emphasizing the necessity to adhere to Article 15 of the national requirements for medical devices and products issued by the Saudi Food and Drug Authority.
5. Continuing efforts by the SFDA to study the suitability and effectiveness of applying the national dose level in terms of diagnostic image quality, reducing radiation doses, and protecting patients from unjustified doses.
6. The National Committee should continue to establish the national diagnostic reference levels for children in CT and that for all other imaging systems, such as mammography, general radiology, and interventional radiology.
7. Determine guidance to unify imaging protocols for a CT scan for each health facility in the Kingdom.
8. Evaluating healthcare facilities in the Kingdom by studying and reviewing the national dose for all imaging systems available annually and sharing the results of patient exposure doses with the SFDA.